Monday, June 27, 2011

I's the b'y that catches the fish...


The Caplin rolled in this morning.

Caplin are small fish, and every spring, they come to the shore to spawn. This means that thousands of fish are washing up on shore. So, if you're so inclined (and many are), you grab your bucket, your net and some rubber boots and head out to the shore. I was told awhile ago that "when you hear the caplin are rolling, drop everything- you get in your car and drive to the shore."

I read on twitter that the Caplin that they were rolling this morning, I did just that. Paul went off to work and I loaded the girls in the car and drove off to Middle Cove. 
It was really cool. There were so many fish right there on shore. There were hundred of birds as well, diving down for the fish, which was pretty amazing to watch. I've heard that there can be whales, too, but we didn't see any. 

 But, G took a bit of a dive into the waves and soaked herself from head to toe. When we got to the car, I pulled off her rubber boot and poured out the water. So, we went home. 
But we came back later with Paul. 
It was pretty crowded. More people, but many of the fish had gone away or been caught. 


We did manage to catch a few.



 G was really into it.
Then she asked the fish gods to bless her (or something). 

We took them home.

Dredged them in flour.

Fried them up.



And polished them off! 

G was very, very fond of them.

3 comments:

  1. Great photo essay Jan! Can't wait to see her and her sister one of these days...
    xoj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love my goddaughter! (and the rest of you Moffetts, too). I never know how to make someone's last name plural...using an apostrophe just doesn't seem to be correct. Do you know any English majors who might be able to help me out on this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. I love that you could just go down to the beach and grab your dinner!

    ReplyDelete