Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Five Stages of Wake Up


As I lay in bed this morning, not wanting to get up, I came up with the five stages of (a non-morning person's) wake up. 

Denial - It is not time to get up yet. My clock must be wrong. Is it daylight savings? Why isn't it daylight savings every day?  For parents: Why is that kid up so early? I'm sure if I don't get up, they'll just go back to sleep. If I lay here very quietly, they will know it's still nighttime, even though it's light out.

Bargaining - Just five more minutes. I have to get up when it's an even number on the clock. I have to get up when there's a 0 on the clock. For parents: I got up last time, you get up. I got way less sleep then you, you get up. No, no, remember how I got up two days in a row? Now it's your turn.

Anger - Why aren't you getting up, self? Now you don't have time for a shower/breakfast/getting dressed/warming up the car! For parents: Why is that kid still calling for me? Can't they just get up on their own? I TOLD  you I got up last time! 

Depression - Why did I sleep in so long? What is wrong with me? What's the point of getting up now? It's so late, I might as well just sleep longer...

Acceptance - Okay, that's it. I'm getting up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment