Actually, if I'm going to be honest (which I try to do on this blog), I'm not doing the greatest. It's lonely out here. It sucks being so far away from friends and family. Many things are still really unfamiliar about St. John's and that can get me down.
Basically, I have my good days and my bad days.
- G's temper tantrums - at least one a day, sometimes as many as five a day. Living with a toddler feels like living with a bi-polar person whose mood changes every 10 minutes. They are taking their toll on both of us. I try take the advice of parenting books and articles, but I still feel like I'm doing everything wrong.
- The potty training nightmare (I don't discuss poo online, cause I don't think people need to hear about that, and I want to give my child a bit of dignity, but let's just say - nothing is good about the stage we're in).
- Even though my children sleep well, sometimes I don't.
- Trying to find a church home we both can agree on (and trying to forget how amazing St. Margaret's was)
- There are no sidewalks. They plow the roads onto the sidewalks to create 6 foot snowbanks instead. So, if I walk anywhere, I walk on the street. If I drive anywhere, I drive around the poor people that are walking on the street.
- Getting out of the house every day to playgroups, Le Leche meetings, the drop-in gym, library storytime and shopping trips.
- Meeting other people at those places, and even better, meeting people repeatedly and building a solid bunch of acquaintances with potential for eventual friendships
- It may be insanely windy and have crazy amounts of snow, but it is not -40 and I don't have to bundle my children in five thousand layers.
- Paul decided to celebrate Valentine's Day* by leaving love notes all over the apartment for me to find. I am still finding them.
- M is still an amazingly mellow baby.
- We managed to take G's soother away really easily and she hasn't asked for it since.**
- When G isn't temper tantruming, she is hilarious. She makes up stories, songs and dances. And she's started asking hilarious questions like "What do aliens eat?" and "What does a crab say?"
So, I can list more good then bad. I suppose that says something.
*we never have, because it is a stupid non-holiday where flowers cost thrice as much and everything smells like yucky red cinnamon hearts.
**Soother Fairy - I may explain this in a later post.